Saturday, July 01, 2006

Argentina Heartbreak

The heartbreaking defeat of Argentina last night to the host country Germany was so far the most tragic episode of this FIFA World CUP. I should say first that this was by far one of the most beautiful games of the World Cup, with both teams showing superb football. But I saw that defeat coming as soon as it became clear after 120 minutes of play the tied teams were heading fro a penalty shootout. I wasn’t quite sure, but I told the man standing next me that I thought Germany has never lost a penalty shootout at the Mondial before. Anyway, I watched with trepidation as the German mean football machine hammered in goal after goal and some of Argentina’s kicks got blocked by the magnificent Lehman. This was the final blow in a game where the Slovanian referee made some outrageous calls, Argentina’s main goalkeeper was injured and had to be replaced, and their team played without the brilliant and mesmerizing Messi (nicknamed “the flea”). Perhaps worse than all of this was Pekerman’s decision (or blunder) to take Riquelme out and bring in Cruz when Argentina was only leading 1:0. Germany scored the equalizer soon after; and despite Argentina clearly having the edge most of the time, they had to bow out as the game was decided by the dreaded penalty shootout wheel of fortune. As one friend texted me after the game, ‘what a horrible way to lose, knowing you had he advantage all along!”

This morning I did some research to confirm my belief that Germany always won their World Cup penalty shootouts; yes they always did:

1982 Semi-finals: W. Germany vs, France: 5-4
1986 Quarter-finals: W. Germany vs. Mexico: 4-1
1990 Semi-finals: W. Germany vs. England: 4-3

Those of you who like to check out all the World Cup shootouts since they were adopted in 1982 can find it all in this list.. There si also aninteresting article on penalty shootouts and its controversial history in this Wikipedia article. As I walked out of the club last night, I find myself humming the tune from “don’t Cry for me Argentina” but with the lyrics changed slightly to fit the occasion:

I cry for you Argentina
The truth is I never expected you
All through the wild match
And till the shootout
To break my heart so
This was a massive blow

And in keeping with the original rhyme, you may also replace the last two lines with:

………………………..
To fade into the distance
What a wretched existence

Either way, the bitter final fact is the same. Argentina’s fate has been sealed; and till 2010, when they hopefully come back with a bit more luck in their shoes, many Team Argentina’s admirers 9along with the players themselves and all of Argentina) will be nursing the painful wounds they suffered last night at the hands (or feet) of a the random justice of the penalty shootout. I cry for you Argentina!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home