Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"Midwife From Hell"!





Yesterday, an Arab MP of the Israeli Knesset (parliament) mused about Condi Rice’s visit to Israel by saying, “she is bringing with her smart bombs and stupid ideas!” I think that “stupid ideas” is an understatement; more accurate would be “dangerous ideas” or “fundamentalist thinking”. This couldn’t be truer than with Rice’s now-infamous “birth-pangs” statement: "What we're seeing here .... are the birth pangs of a 'new' Middle East and whatever we do, we have to be certain that we are pushing forward to the 'new' Middle East, not going back to the old one." - Ms. Rice.

I don’t think I need to prove here the pure evil and extremism behind this line of thinking; this has been done by many already. I’m interested though in presenting some of the interesting reactions to Rice’s speech that I found in cyber static:

”Hell's Midwife: Condi Rice's "Birth Pangs" in Lebanon/Palestine;”
More here.

“Anybody who knows their Bible will identify immediately with the phrase "birth pangs". Birth pangs are mentioned several times in the Scriptures,....Both 1st Thessalonians 5 and Revelation 12 refer to the tribulation period, and describe the sorrow Israel must go through before she sees her Messiah at the Second Coming of Christ…….Friends, this could be it;”
More here.

“Secretary Rice has worried me since she became National Security Advisor. Actually, my concern began with a puff piece on her in The Presbyterian Layman in 2000, which pointed out, among other things, that she's a frequent worshipper at her local right-wing Presbyterian megachurch. Just the implied endorsement by the Layman is actually enough to worry me.”
More here.

“Say hi to your baby, Condy!”
More here.

“While 'birth pangs' are painful and definitely not comfortable, how can they compare with the carnage caused by Israel's bombs on Lebanon??? Yet, the absurd, unfeeling Condi seems to think they are similar.”
More here.

“CondiLIAR Rice Calls Ceasefire a 'false promise'.”
More here.

For me, my favorite is, the “Hell’s Midwife” metaphor; how appropriate!

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Al Sinjab said...

What astonishes me is how intelligent she is. How can a woman who is so intelligent do such things? How can an academic, who I expect would have a better appreciation for history, do this?

I just don't understand it.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger bandicoot said...

Sinjab - I've been asking myself the same questions for a long time. I guess it just shows that intelligence and academia are not in themselves sufficient to make people think humanely and do the right thing. But again, some of the most evil people in history were geniuses!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home