Friday, July 14, 2006

Six Bills Only!

Yes, you're right, the existence of the word 'bills' in the title of this post means that it's about the one and only: Etisalat! Please don't read it as another whining piece, but rather in the spirit of observing a little misadventure and perhaps some fact-sharing!

I usually pay my bills using phone banking, which is just great; however this time I collected my DEWA and Etisalat bills 10 days later than usual from my work address (isn’t it funny how our work address here becomes our home address?). Phone banking takes 2 days to register; so I was a bit concerned about being disconnected. My main fear was of course DEWA, where cutting electricity and water services in this time of year is akin to extreme inconvenience if not out right misery. But I was also apprehensive of losing phone and internet connections.

So Wednesday on my way to DEWA I stopped first at the Etisalat office by Defense Roundabout; it was close to 11:00. I haven’t been there in a while, so I was a little surprised to see there was sonly one person in the queue and that there were somewhat longer queues at the 2 or 3 bill paying machines. Anyway my turn came quickly and I headed to one of the 3 open windows and handed the lady in black my 3 bills. She looked at them and then said flatly, “less than six bills must pay at the machine!” I looked perplexed; so she explained, “only six bills or more at the window; don’t you see the sign?” and she pointed to a sign that escaped my attention with that same message.

And then it hit me; that’s why there were no queues at the windows and a little crowd at the machines. OK, I thought to myself, I understand, it’s not your rule, and I’m not going to argue with you about it. I walked to one machine and stood behind a couple of people till it was my turn. It wasn’t that bad, but then I got all exacerbated by the screen menu and the options given; and thinking that I would have to do that 3 times, once for every bill, I decided I’ll take my chances and pay them later from home via phone banking and just walked out unhappy. As I was leaving I looked at the windows and there were zero customers, with the three “employees” just sitting there them doing nothing.

Now how many people, I mean ordinary people, would have six Etisalat bills or more monthly? In other words, customer service here seems now to be only for businesses (and perhaps people with many phone and internet lines); and machine service is for the rest. All I can say is, way to go Etisalat; there is only one place in town that beats you at creating less work for its employees and more for their machines

5 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger flamin said...

rightly put. there are so many places here, example: a bank, where there's a queue or 10 people and the woman sitting next to that, is just idle. why can't they enable both the computers (side-by-side) to handle similar transactions, instead of creating a long queue on one side and leaving the another one empty. idiots.

btw, thanks for linking my blog. just noticed :))

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger bandicoot said...

MD, you're welcome...
What is so frustrating about this is that it's not asking too much; may be Usually I really don't like to complain too much about stuff like this, but again it is a personal experience after all, even if it's somewhat trivial.
Also your response made me realize I spelled "queue" wrongly; I'll try to fix it soon. Thanks.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Cosmic girl said...

here an easier alternative that I think you're gonna like..
you can pay for your bill online.. including recharging your wasel.. and you'll even save yourself the journey of getting stuck in traffic in this heat... all can be done here

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger bandicoot said...

Thank you cg; I'm usually happy with my phone banking, but next time I'll give the online option a try. Thanks for the pointer.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Cosmic girl said...

always happy to help.. :) just don't forget to pay your internet bill... once that's disconnected.. you won't be able to access it from home...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home