Monday, July 10, 2006

Azzuries!

Last night as I watched the Italians beat the French and win their 4th World Cup, I experienced a case of divided loyalties. Given my background, I was naturally inclined to cheer for Italia; and I did, as I followed the match at the bar overlooking the Ski Dubai in the MoE. But given my love for Zidane, I couldn’t help but show some support for him and his comrades too. In effect, I was cheering for both teams, though with a bit more bias toward the Azzuries. But this changed in the 2nd half and I became more disappointed with the Italians as they faded and lost their focus; so I found myself gradually shifting loyalties. It actually got to the point where I was convinced that for justice to be served France had to win. The French team played a more convincing football most of the time and the Italians struggled to keep level. Zidane’s expulsion was quite shocking though, especially knowing this was his last international game. I don’t know what prompted him to do what he did, but it was a big mistake, and it might have cost the French the championship. It brought sad memories of Zidane again being ousted from the 1998 World Cup in his team’s game against South Africa. The difference though, that wasn’t the final game then, and France went on to win the Cup; but this was different. The irony is, Zidane wasn’t supposed to be there in the first place, but he worked to bring the team together after he had a mysterious vision or calling to do that; and he/they almost made it! I’m just sorry the secret voice didn’t tell him about the red card! In all fairness, judging from the overall performance of both teams, France was more deserving of the win, and Italy’s winning in a penalty shootout made it even less impressive. But a win is a win; so congratulazioni Italy and au revoir Zizou and France.

2 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Blogger Al Sinjab said...

Enjoyed your stream of consciousness very much - did my own for Ras Al Khaimah! Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger bandicoot said...

Most welcome, Al Sinjab! I was actually thinking the other day of puttin it on hold or deleting it; but now you convinced me to keep it, at least for a while longer..Thanks for visiting! I'll check out your list later...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home